Sunday, February 24, 2013

COMM 360: Living In The Studio World

Where did I start with all this Comm stuff anyway? I've been immersed in this world so long that it's hard to say exactly what got me into it.

Of course, I'm lying a bit here. I got into Comm when I made my first film, Chef's Torment, in March 2010. Of course, one could argue that the work I did with Christian Senn on the later canceled Project-S's promotional material was also a form of Comm. Never mind that though, as Chef's Torment is the relevant piece for this blog post.
 
 
When I first started making short films (which is how I ended up in the Shepherd Comm department), I was often very limited in the actors I could utilize. This meant being in films myself, which often meant using a tripod and very static shots in lieu of more interesting fare. Even when I did have actors, one thing or another (usually chroma-keying on a budget or faking double exposure in post) led to a boring job for cameraman Angus.

Which leads me to a point of contrast: the studio. As we've worked in the studio this semester, I had a chance to do some more interesting camera work. Camera stuffs in the studio is less creative, but MUCH more interesting.

So, I guess it stands out as great to me because I finally got to do one of the most fundamental parts of what I've been doing the past few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment